Berlin seeks public input on four bridge projects

Published on Sunday, 15 October 2017 22:17
Written by Charles Paullin

Staff Writer

BERLIN - The town of Berlin is seeking input from residents before starting four bridge projects.

The bridges on Worthington Ridge and Berlin Street over the Mattabesset River, Wildermere Road over Belcher Brook and Heritage Drive over Stockings Brook are being considered for rehabilitation, a release from the Department of Public Works sent out Thursday stated.

Early input from residents, bringing attention to any concerns, is encouraged, said Jim Horbal, deputy director of public works.

The projects, estimated at $950,000 including contingency costs, would be funded under the federal Local Bridge Program administered by the Connecticut Department of Transportation, and by the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the Connecticut Department of Transportation.

The federal funds would cover 80 percent of the costs through reimbursement, with the town needing to cover the remaining 20 percent, or about $195,000.

Such funds would come from the bonded bridgework account, Horbal said, and other projects prioritized in the 2017-18 public works budget would not be pushed aside.

Design on the projects would begin in 2018, with construction taking place in late 2018 or early 2019, Horbal said. It should take no more than six months for each project to be completed, with all being worked on at the same time, he added.

The town has about 30 bridges, Horbal said, but work on these four seemed to provide the most value for the town and residents, in terms of costs and project requirements.

A bridge evaluation conducted by the town at the start of the decade, Horbal said, found these bridges need only minor rehabilitation to bring them back up to an acceptable rating.

“It’s not as if they are going to cause a problem,” said Horbal, but a little work now “will go a long way,” in maintaining them.

Letters will be sent out to owners of properties abutting the bridges, Horbal said, and a public information hearing will be held to seek further community involvement before the projects begin.

Anyone seeking additional information can contact Horbal at 860-828-7069.

Charles Paullin can be reached at 860-801-5074 or cpaullin@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Berlin, General News on Sunday, 15 October 2017 22:17. Updated: Sunday, 15 October 2017 22:20.