Berlin man released from custody

Published on Monday, 16 April 2018 16:46
Written by LISA BACKUS

@LBACKUSNBH

BERLIN – A local man convicted of booby-trapping his property where federal agents found hundreds of explosives and guns in 2006 and who was arrested last week for giving a false statement to probation officials was released Monday after a detention hearing.

Alan Zaleski, 56, was told to stay at the New Britain address he have probation officials during the hearing. The charge of making a false statement, however is still moving forward, federal authorities said. He was taken into custody near the Berlin property in the Shuttle Meadow area Wednesday after authorities were tipped off that he had rented the same cabin involved in the booby trap case and had asked a friend to store grenade parts for him. Federal authorities did not find any bomb-making devices or guns in the cabin Wednesday, a spokesman for the Connecticut U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

Zaleski told probation officials in 2016 that he had no access to guns or explosives, court papers said. He also told his probation officer that he had a new address in New Britain, but federal agents found evidence that he had rented the cabin in the Shuttle Meadow area of Berlin.

Under the terms of his probation, he can not possess guns, ammunition or explosives and he must notify probation officials within 10 days of moving and provide information on any property he rents.

Zaleski was held until Monday when a federal judge determined he could be released but was required to stay at the New Britain address he had given probation officials.

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or Lbackus@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Berlin, General News on Monday, 16 April 2018 16:46. Updated: Monday, 16 April 2018 16:48.