As institutions from professional sports to local schools shut down in efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the spring season for local high school sports appears to be in jeopardy. The fate of those sports could be decided by next week.
The CIAC reached out to coaches across the state on Thursday, sending out an email that a meeting would be held on Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. to discuss options for the 2020 spring seasons. Representatives from all conferences and leagues throughout Connecticut are expected to attend, though no word has been given if a final decision will come from the scheduled meeting.
In the email obtained by The Herald, CIAC executive director Glenn Lungarini stated that, “The CIAC is committed to our responsibility of providing member schools with direction on how to proceed with spring sports. We will keep the health and safety of our student-athletes and each community around the state at the center of our discussion.”
Schools throughout the state continue to shut down, including Bristol area schools, Newington, Stratford, Danbury and Stamford. Athletics activities at those schools, as well as Fairfield Ludlowe, have been postponed indefinitely, and Enfield has reportedly joined that mix.
Spring sports are scheduled to begin in early April, but practices are scheduled to begin as early as this weekend with pitchers and catchers reporting for local baseball teams. In the email, Lungarini stated that the organization is “leaving the determination with each member school to allow baseball pitchers and catchers to report this Saturday.”