1. Name: Kari Sassu, Ph.D.
2. Candidate for office: Board of Education (re-elect)
3. Place of residence: Berlin
4. Age: 40
5. Marital status: Married, 3 children
6. Education: B.A., Psychology from University of Pennsylvania, M.S. Ed., Psychological Services from University of Pennsylvania, M.A., School Psychology from University of Connecticut, Sixth Year Professional Diploma, School Psychology from University of Connecticut, Sixth Year Professional Diploma, Educational Leadership from Southern Connecticut State University, Ph.D., Educational Psychology from University of Connecticut.
7. Profession: Director of the Center of Excellence on Autism Spectrum Disorders at Southern Connecticut State University; graduate professor in the Counseling & School Psychology Department at SCSU.
8. Public service experience: Current Board of Education member since 2015.
9. What do you hope to achieve if elected? As an elected member of the BoE, I will devote effort toward strengthening the relationship between the school district and the public it serves, so as to actualize the ideas of (1) our public educational system should meet the needs of all students, regardless of abilities, needs or backgrounds and (2) all students can become successful, contributing members of society if provided the right supports and opportunities.
10. What sets you apart from the other candidates? In addition to my perspective as a parent, my professional experience and training have allowed me to develop the insight necessary to make informed decisions that consider all stakeholders and result in meaningful, positive outcomes for students, as I approach questions related to our educational system with the belief that we should strive to continuously improve our current practices.
Email or call Kari Sassu at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-505-7244.