School district's move is '98 percent done'

Published on Thursday, 13 July 2017 20:17
Written by Skyler Frazer

Staff Writer

NEW BRITAIN - The school district’s move from Smalley Elementary School to Pope John Paul II School is “98 percent done,” according to the School Building Committee

“We just have a final sweep of Smalley to go,” said Ray Moore, chief facilities and special projects officer for the school district, in the committee’s meeting Thursday. “It will be about a half-day’s worth of work.”

Moore said that once the final sweep of Smalley is done, maintenance workers will harvest equipment and supplies that can be used in other schools that won’t be used in the renovated school.

Pope John Paul II School will be the temporary home of Smalley Elementary School students when Smalley undergoes its renovation project.

In other news Thursday morning, the School Building Committee authorized Moore to continue contract negotiations with Kaestle Boos for their architecture and design services for the Smalley renovation project.

Kaestle Boos will take over for Fletcher Thompson, whose contract with the city was ended in June for “substantial nonperformance of terms and conditions of the contract.” Fletcher Thompson has missed numerous deadlines, including failing to submit lien waivers to the committee and failure to submit detailed designs and drawings of the project.

Kaestle Boos was the other contractor that placed a bid for the project last year, so Moore will continue his negotiations to bring them onto the project.

Skyler Frazer can be reached at 860-801-5087 or by email at sfrazer@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, General News, New Britain on Thursday, 13 July 2017 20:17. Updated: Thursday, 13 July 2017 20:19.