Travelers extends sponsorship of golf tournament through 2030

Published on Monday, 29 March 2021 21:25
Written by MATT HORNICK

@MNHornick

Travelers announced Monday it is extending its partnership as the title sponsor of Connecticut’s PGA Tour event through 2030.

Travelers Chairman and CEO Alan Schnitzer made the announcement during a virtual news conference that six years were added to the sponsorship as Travelers was already inked to the event until 2024. Schnitzer was joined by Gov. Ned Lamont, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan, Travelers Executive Vice President Andy Bessette and tournament director Nathan Grube.

"So many historic and exciting moments in golf have happened at the Travelers Championship over the years, but it’s the amazing moments that are made off the course that capture the real value of our hometown tournament," Schnitzer said. “As a company rooted in taking care of its customers and communities, the charitable mission of the Travelers Championship reflects who we are as an organization. This tournament is important to so many people across the region, both as an economic driver for the state and as a funding source for hundreds of charities, and we are proud to continue its legacy for years to come."

Travelers started sponsoring the tournament in 2007 and this extension will make it the longest-running title sponsor since the event’s inception in 1952. Since taking over as the lead name, the tournament has raised almost $20 million for 800 different nonprofit organizations.

“This event has all the right ingredients,” Monahan said. “We have a wonderful facility that attracts so many stars and a fan contingent that is second to none in size and enthusiasm.”

The 2021 installment of the Travelers Championship will begin June 24 at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell. Last year’s winner Dustin Johnson is already committed to playing this year, as are Patrick Reed, Bryson DeChambeau and three-time winner Bubba Watson.

Grube said there will be fans at this year’s tournament after the coronavirus pandemic prevented any spectators in 2020, but they are still determining how many people will be allowed.

Matt Hornick can be reached at (860) 973-1811 or mhornick@bristolpress.com



Posted in New Britain Herald, General Sports on Monday, 29 March 2021 21:25. Updated: Monday, 29 March 2021 21:28.