Cooking fire spreads, but damage is minor

Published on Saturday, 9 September 2017 21:54
Written by LISA BACKUS

STAFF WRITER

NEW BRITAIN - After a small fire turned into a larger one after a Vine Street woman tried to deal with the small one herself, the city fire marshal is reminding residents to get out of the house and call 911 in the event of any fire.

A first-floor tenant at 59-61 Vine St. was cooking with oil Friday afternoon when the pan caught fire, Fire Marshal Don King said.

The woman tried to take the pan outside but dropped it while still inside, resulting in a larger fire.

Engine 4 arrived in four minutes and firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, King said. The damage was minor but heavy smoke was produced.

The woman was the only person home at the time and got out safely. The building is still inhabitable, King said.

King tells residents not to attempt to put out an oil or grease fire with water or to move an item that has caught fire.

“Please get safely out of the home and call 911,” King said.

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or lbackus@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, General News, New Britain on Saturday, 9 September 2017 21:54. Updated: Saturday, 9 September 2017 21:56.