NEW BRITAIN- Alfred Mayo, the mayoral candidate charged with assaulting Mayor Erin Stewart during the 2015 campaign, is seeking to have his court cases dismissed.
Mayo filed a flurry of motions Monday seeking to have two cases against him thrown out and is seeking funding from the court to interview witnesses who were involved in the investigation into his conduct.
Mayo plans on taking the case to trial if the charges aren’t dismissed but has asked New Britain Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander to rule on his motion to get funding for investigators to help his defense. He is due back in court Oct. 17.
It is unclear if Alexander will grant or deny the motions on that date.
“The evidence they have doesn’t meet the criteria,” Mayo said Thursday. “The evidence has to show intent. There is no evidence showing anything premeditated.”
In his motion to dismiss, Mayo said that although Walnut Hill Park was full of people the day he allegedly assaulted Stewart, only one person claimed to have seen him put his hand on the mayor.
Mayo was a petitioning candidate for mayor in July 2015 when he was charged with breach of peace and third-degree assault the day after he allegedly grabbed Stewart and used profanity during the annual “Pencil Hunt” at Walnut Hill Park. He was asked by a Stewart aide to leave the event that had drawn more than 400 area children.
Mayo was arrested again on Oct. 19, 2015, on a charge he falsely reported racially inflammatory incidents after he filed a police complaint that a local businessman had used a racial slur against him. Police said Mayo’s allegation proved untrue, leading to the arrest.
Stewart won the election with Mayo garnering 112 votes. He is running again for mayor as a petitioning candidate.
Mayo turned down a plea deal for both sets of charges last year, opting instead to represent himself at trial.
Mayo wants to interview all people involved in the case, including Stewart and several police officers who worked on the investigation. At the same time, he is continuing his 2017 candidacy for the mayoral race. He did not attend a forum for the candidates held Thursday night but will attend a program sponsored by the League of Women Voters on Oct. 14, he said.
According to the conditions of his release on the criminal charges, Mayo is not allowed to be near Stewart unless he is invited to a campaign function.
He is undeterred by the charges, which he has been battling for two years, and is actively campaigning, he said. “I am going ahead and continuing to do what I have to do to run for office,” Mayo said Thursday. “I’m happy with the way things are going. I think things are going to go really well this time.”
Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or Lbackus@centralctcommunications.com.