Fire that started in garage displaces 3 from city house

Published on Sunday, 7 January 2018 23:20
Written by LISA BACKUS


NEW BRITAIN - Firefighters battled a garage fire that spread to the first floor of a two-family house on Fairview Street in frigid weather Saturday afternoon.

A man was warming a pipe with a light when the heat set nearby insulation on fire at 18 Fairview St. around 1 p.m., Fire Marshal Don King said.

The burning insulation fell onto a tractor, which caught fire and the blaze spread up the wall into the first floor of the house, King said. A tenant of the building smelled smoke and called 911, he said.

The man tried to put out the blaze but was unsuccessful, King said, No one was injured. The tenant and the man got out of the home safely. The the fire has been ruled accidental, King said.

Firefighters stopped the flames from getting to the second-floor apartment.

The building has been ruled uninhabitable and the utilities have been shut off, King said. All three occupants have found other places to stay, he said.

“It was a good save,” King said. “Weather played a role, but the deputy chief in charge of the scene did a superb job keeping firefighters fresh and ready to go.”

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or

Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Sunday, 7 January 2018 23:20. Updated: Sunday, 7 January 2018 23:22.