New Britain man who accidentally shot himself sentenced to two years in prison

Published on Tuesday, 9 January 2018 22:45
Written by LISA BACKUS


NEW BRITAIN - A man who accidentally shot himself two years ago at a Lincoln Street address will serve a two-year mandatory prison sentence, court officials said.

Officers responded to 350 Lincoln St. on Jan. 14, 2016 on a report that a man had been shot and found Kyle Gil, now 38, with a gunshot wound to the torso. Gil and two others who were at the home at the time of the shooting said Gil was accidentally shot when a gun he was handling fell on the floor and went off, a warrant for his arrest said.

Gil admitted while police were in the house that he had several guns that belonged to his aunt, who died in the past year.

Gil’s criminal history includes a felony conviction for possession of narcotics, making it illegal for him to possess firearms, the warrant said.

Police came back to the house Gil was using while it was in probate and found 18 guns, including several shotguns and rifles, a Taser, more than 950 rounds of ammunition, 11 vials containing steroids, more than a half-pound of marijuana, powered cocaine, Ecstasy that was hidden in the false top of a Chef Boyardee can, and a scale and baggies commonly used to package illegal drugs, the warrant said.

Gil was charged four months later with 20 counts of criminal possession of a firearm for the guns, ammunition and Taser and possession of marijuana with intent to sell, possession of more than four ounces of marijuana, possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance.

He has been free on bond since April 2016. He pleaded guilty Tuesday under the Alford Doctrine today to criminal possession of a firearm and possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell. Under the doctrine, the defendant pleads guilty to avoid a trial but notes that he doesn’t agree with the state’s evidence.

New Britain Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander agreed to give Gil a seven-year prison sentence, suspended after two years served, and three years probation in exchange for the pleas. The gun charge calls for a two-year mandatory sentence, Alexander said.

Gil will be sentenced on Feb. 5. If he doesn’t show up or is arrested again before that date, he could face the maximum 17 years he would have gotten without a plea agreement, the judge said.

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or

Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Tuesday, 9 January 2018 22:45. Updated: Tuesday, 9 January 2018 22:48.