New Britain fire limited to porch of 2nd-floor condo unit

Published on Sunday, 4 March 2018 21:15
Written by Lisa Backus


NEW BRITAIN - Three people in two condominiums were displaced after firefighters quickly doused a second-story porch fire in a large complex on Biruta Street Sunday afternoon.

The owner of the condo whose porch caught fire wasn’t home at the time, officials said.

Someone called in the fire at 2:20 p.m. from 615 Burritt St., which faces the condo complex at 124 Biruta St., Deputy Chief Paul Walsh said.

The three-story building houses several units.

The fire alarm was going off and residents were evacuating the building when firefighters arrived, Walsh said. No one was injured.

The blaze, which was on the porch of a second-floor unit, was put out in 18 minutes, Walsh said. It did not spread into the building, interim Fire Chief Peter Margentino said.

The resident of the unit still hadn’t returned by 5:15 p.m., fire officials said. That unit will be declared uninhabitable due to smoke and water damage, officials said.

The residents in the unit directly below the fire will be displaced at least for Sunday evening due to water that damaged the electrical wiring. The American Red Cross will be available to help residents of both units, officials said.

The Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or Lbackus@centralctcommunications. com.

Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Sunday, 4 March 2018 21:15. Updated: Sunday, 4 March 2018 21:18.