No jail time for man who allegedly assaulted young girl

Published on Wednesday, 5 September 2018 19:57
Written by LISA BACKUS

@LBACKUSNBH

NEW BRITAIN - A Bingham Street man will serve no jail time after pleading “no contest” to a risk of injury charge based on allegations that he molested a young girl over the span of years when her grandmother would leave the house.

Carlos Burgos Sr., 84, of 184 Bingham St. would allegedly fondle the girl inappropriately when her grandmother, who was babysitting the child, would leave the house for periods of time, according to an arrest warrant.

Burgos was initially charged in October 2016 with two counts of first-degree sexual assault and two counts of risk of injury to a child by sexual contact.

He pleaded “no contest” to one count of risk of injury to a child earlier this year.

Burgos was sentenced Wednesday to five years probation.

The girl, now 25, reported the incidents in June of 2016 after revealing the assaults took place to family members while she was being treated at a hospital for depression, the warrant said.

The woman told officers that when her grandmother was babysitting her after school, Burgos would sexually assault with his hands her two to three times a week, when her grandmother left the house.

The assaults took place from the time she was 6 until she was 10-years-old, the woman said.

She also said during the incidents he would force her to “look straight into his eyes the whole time,” and he told her never to tell anyone about the assaults.

Burgos denied the allegations and told investigators he didn’t recall babysitting the child when she was six-years-old but remembered taking her on walks around the neighborhood when she was very small.

The woman’s mother told police that she left her daughter with her grandmother several times a week while she worked.

The grandmother confirmed that she would watch the child after school but denied she had ever left the girl alone with Burgos.

The woman had revealed the molestation to a pastor three or four years ago and she had told a therapist in 2015, the warrant said.

The pastor and the therapist confirmed that the victim had spoken to them about being molested previously when interviewed by police.

Burgos will not have to register as a sex offender as part of his sentence, court staff said.

A New Britain Superior Court judge issued a standing criminal protective order barring him from contact with the victim for the rest of his life.

Lisa Backus can be reached at 860-801-5066 or .



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Wednesday, 5 September 2018 19:57. Updated: Wednesday, 5 September 2018 19:59.