New Britain Fire Station 4 closes 2-3 weeks for renovations

Published on Monday, 9 September 2019 21:15
Written by Charles Paullin

@CPaullinNBH

NEW BRITAIN - Fire station No. 4, located at 1085 Corbin Ave., will be closed for approximately two to three weeks for renovations, according to the city.

The work began Monday, the mayor’s office said. The renovations are part of a larger $15 million to $18 million plan to improve all six of the city’s stations over the next five to ten years, Fire Chief Raul Ortiz said.

“I think some of (the firefighters) are more excited than me,” Ortiz said, noting that he recently came to the department and many of the firefighters at the station had been there for several years.

The work at station 4 includes replacing windows, improving bathrooms, replacing the entire heating system, updating electrical systems, installing new supply and exhaust fans with carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide monitoring, and much more, said David Huck, public affairs specialist in the mayor’s office. The total cost of the project is approximately $500,000, Huck said.

Similar renovations, plus work on tiles, locker rooms, and asbestos remediation, are needed at the other stations, Ortiz said. But the completion of the work depends on how the city prioritizes it with its other needs, such as projects for schools and road paving, Ortiz said.

“This is the oldest fire station with the most amount of work needed to be done,” Ortiz said. The one-and-a-half story building was built in 1950 and has an area of 8,832 square feet, according to records from the assessor’s office.

The station’s firefighters, engines and all other necessary equipment will be temporarily relocated to station No. 2 at 146 South Main Street during the construction, Ortiz said. Station 2 was built in 1968.

Station No. 2 was chosen because at more than 14,000 square feet it was best able to accommodate another fire company and was the closest to station 4’s coverage area, Ortiz said. Fire crews will patrol the area station 4 served to be able to provide immediate response, Ortiz said. but residents in the area should expect a delay of as much as a few minutes since crews will mainly be based out of station No. 2 during the work.

“We will make every effort as a department to ensure that there will be no delay in services while the work is being done,” Ortiz said in a statement announcing the work. “We thank you for your understanding and we will re-open Station 4 as soon as possible. In case of an emergency, please continue to call 911.”

Staff Writer Catherine Shen contributed to this story.

Charles Paullin can be reached at 860-801-5074 or cpaullin@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Monday, 9 September 2019 21:15. Updated: Monday, 9 September 2019 21:18.