NEW BRITAIN- The American Savings Foundation Board of Directors have recently announced the distribution of $114,567 worth of grants through the new Community Grants program to help support a variety of programs throughout the Foundation service area including New Britain, Bristol, Wethersfield, Middletown, Cromwell, Ashford and Torrington.
“We were very pleased to receive such a wide range of compelling requests from agencies from throughout the communities we serve,” said Maria Falvo, President and CEO of American Savings Foundation. “The Community Grants program gives us a new vehicle through which we can invest in the people and organizations that make our communities strong.”
Some of the Community Grants announced include:
• $3,000 will be awarded to the Girl Scouts of Connecticut for the Girlz R.U.L.E. program for 7th grade girls in New Britain.
• $1,652 will be awarded to the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol for docent training to improve engagement with visitors.
• $3,500 will be awarded to Arts for Learning Connecticut for performances, workshops, and professional development sessions with teaching artists at Ashford School.
• $3,000 will be awarded to Oddfellows Playhouse in Middletown to produce 4 main stage plays performed by teens and young adults.
• $3,000 will be awarded to the Boys and Girls Club of Meriden to provide dinner for participants while teaching active listening and social skills.
• $1,000 will be awarded to the Plainville Wind Ensemble for three concerts in their 2020 season.
• $2,500 will be awarded to EdAdvance for the STEPS program at East School in Torrington, to prevent drug and alcohol addiction for youth.
• $4,015 will be awarded to the Berlin-Peck Memorial Library to provide creative arts, visual arts, and art education programming for individuals experiencing memory loss or mild cognitive impairment.
This is the second round of grants made through American Savings Foundation’s Community Grants program and marks the end of the first year ASF has conducted this program.
In total, 56 grants totaling $190,567 has been awarded through the program in 2019.
Responding to feedback from grant seekers, ASF’s new Community Grants program was designed to better respond to a wide range of local needs in its 64 town service area.
In keeping with the Foundation’s mission, Community Grants support programs and organizations that strengthen the community through education, human services and the arts and culture, with special emphasis on the needs of children, youth and families.
ASF reviews Community Grants twice a year. They are currently accepting applications for the first review cycle for Community Grants in 2020. The deadline is February 6, 2020 for a decision in March. Applications may range from $250 to $5,000 and can be submitted online at www.asfdn.org .
American Savings Foundation is a permanent charitable endowment which provides grants to local nonprofit organizations and college scholarships to area students. Since it was started in 1995 the foundation has contributed over $60 million in total grants and scholarships in central Connecticut.
For more information, call 860-827-2556 or visit the foundation’s website ass www.asfdn.org .