Suspect who engaged police in pursuit, ending up on roof of building released on bond

Published on Monday, 13 January 2020 15:09
Written by Charles Paullin


NEW BRITAIN – A Bristol man who engaged police in pursuit and ended up on the roof of a building that was previously burned in a fire has been released from custody on bond.

Tajee McDade, 21, of Whiting Street, was released after a court appearance in New Britain Superior Court Tuesday and posting the $35,000 bond for his Jan. 2 arrest involving the chase. He is facing several charges including carrying a pistol without a permit, illegal possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle, tampering with physical evidence and sale of a controlled substance and more in that case.

He also posted $15,000 bond in another case for a violation of probation charge he is facing, which stems from a 2017conviction for interfering with an officer/resisting and possession of a controlled substance. He was sentenced to two years in jail, all suspended, with two years probation in that conviction.

McDade is on GPS monitoring during his release and due back in New Britain Superior Court for a status update on Jan. 14.

McDade was detained after he was first spotted by officers around 5 p.m. the day of his arrest driving a car in the area of Fairview and Church streets, a police report said. Police knew that he had active warrant out for him so they followed him for a series of turns through that area of the city.

McDade then ran through a stop sign nor used his turning signal back on Fairview Street, the report said. Police followed the car more as he drove North on East Street with zero regards for citizen safety, before they activated their lights and siren to make a traffic stop. McDade kept driving and was last seen heading on 9 North off of Smalley Street when police stopped this pursuit.

Believing McDade would return to his residence, police went there and saw him driving in the rear parking lot and began chasing him on foot, the report continued. McDade took off, jumped a fence and police lost track of him as he headed toward Whiting Street.

Multiple officers responded and the officer who was chasing him later saw him lying down on the roof of 216 Whiting Street, the location of a fire at New Britain Heat Treating in September 2018, the report said. He said he climbed a tree to get up there. After police asked him to climb down he eventually did after a few moments.

Almost two and half ounces of marijuana was found on him and the path of wear he ran from police, along with a small portable scale and sandwich baggies, the report said. A Cobra Enterprises Patriot 9 mm was also found on the roof where McDade was.

Charles Paullin can be reached at 860-801-5074 or

Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Monday, 13 January 2020 15:09. Updated: Monday, 13 January 2020 15:11.