New Britain schools have already given out over 15,000 breakfasts and lunches

Published on Wednesday, 18 March 2020 13:07
Written by Catherine Shen

@cshenNBH

NEW BRITAIN – Over 15,000 breakfasts and lunches have been served to New Britain students during the district-wide shutdown and many more are coming.

“The turnout has been great, much better compared to earlier in the week,” said Jeffrey Taddeo, resident district manager for Whitsons School Nutrition. “People have been seeing us with our food truck and they’re just so happy. There’s really a sense of relief from the families.”

The school district is currently closed from March 16 to March 30.

Taddeo spent Wednesday morning training more food service volunteers at the Mount Pleasant site and said the new site is up and running.

“I can tell you already that we’re going to need more meal sites,” he said. “We’ll be reevaluating every day and see where the needs are.”

The Consolidated School District of New Britain and Whitsons School Nutrition added two new sites, Mount Pleasant and Malikowski Circle, on top of their original five locations to address more needs.

Those locations include New Britain High School, 110 Mill St., Pulaski Middle School, 757 Farmington Ave., Smalley Elementary School, 175 West St., Smith Elementary School, 142 Rutherford St., and a food truck at A.W. Stanley Park, Stanley St.

Hours for the meal distribution centers are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The meals are grab-and-go and both meals may be obtained during each of the open hours so parents and students don’t have to make two trips. There will be no requirements to check in or sign up, both parents and students can come by to pick up the meals that are all freshly made.

Taddeo and his team will also be driving through the various parks in New Britain to see if there might be potential meal sites to ensure that all New Britain students get the meals they need. Those parks include Chesley Park, Walnut Hill Park, and Stanley Quarter Park.

“It’s really hard to gauge the time frame in terms of how long this service will be needed,” Taddeo said. “But we are prepared for this. The people are starting to spread the word and families are realizing this is a good way to get meals. We’re hoping with the better weather that more people will start coming out.”

For more information, visit: www.csdnb.org



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Wednesday, 18 March 2020 13:07. Updated: Wednesday, 18 March 2020 13:09.