Man sentenced to prison for assaulting New Britain woman during break-in

Published on Tuesday, 6 April 2021 15:47
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

NEW BRITAIN – A man has been sentenced to three years behind bars after police said he broke into a woman’s New Britain home in 2018 and assaulted her while she was sleeping.

Alvin Torres, 34, was given the sentence during a hearing Monday in New Britain Superior Court. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison, suspended after service of three years, and five years of probation.

During a previous proceeding in December, he accepted a plea bargain and pleaded guilty to charges of second-degree burglary and second-degree strangulation/suffocation, judicial records said.

According to the state Department of Corrections, Torres has been in custody since February 2020. He would be held until February of 2023 if he served his entire sentence, DOC records indicated.

New Britain police said Torres on July 2, 2018, broke into a woman’s Trinity Street apartment and assaulted her while she was sleeping around 11:30 p.m. He and the victim had been involved in a domestic relationship.

According to police, Torres restrained her so she could not call for help. She was eventually able to get away and call police.

Police said Torres was armed with a knife and threatened to attack anyone who tried to enter the apartment to get him. The SWAT team was called to the scene, but it is believed the suspect left the house before they arrived.

Immediately following the incident, police sought help finding Torres.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Tuesday, 6 April 2021 15:47. Updated: Tuesday, 6 April 2021 15:49.