NEW BRITAIN – The case against a young man who had been charged in connection with a stolen car has been dropped after he pleaded guilty to an unrelated charge this week in New Britain Superior Court.
Isaias Mendez, 19, had been facing charges of first-degree larceny, a felony, and interfering with an officer, a misdemeanor.
Those charges were dropped when Mendez accepted a plea bargain in an unrelated case, pleading guilty to one count of first-degree criminal trespassing. He was sentenced on Wednesday to a year in jail, suspended, and two years of conditional discharge. The sentence structure exposes him to as much as a year in prison if he violates any conditions during the two-year discharge period.
According to police, Mendez and another man were allegedly seen leaving a 2016 White Acura TLX in the area of 172 High St. in February 2020. They took off running as an officer approached the vehicle, police said.
Mendez was apprehended shortly thereafter, while the other suspect ran into a nearby apartment and closed the door on an officer’s hand. The officer reported injuring one of his fingers before the second suspect was taken into custody.
The stolen Acura, police said, was valued at a little over $20,000.
No information about the case Mendez pleaded guilty in was immediately available Thursday.
Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or email@example.com.