New Britain man pleads not guilty to Southington carjacking

Published on Friday, 14 January 2022 14:09
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON – A New Britain man has pleaded not guilty in a carjacking reported in Southington.

Christian Velez, 24, entered his not guilty pleas this week in New Britain Superior Court.

He faces charges of first-degree threatening, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree larceny, third-degree larceny, first-degree robbery and robbery of an occupied vehicle.

Velez is being held on $100,000 bond in just the Southington case. He is due back in New Britain court on Feb. 8.

According to Southington police, Velez used a vehicle that had been stolen from New Britain when he stole a Southington man’s car at gunpoint on Sept. 2, outside a home on Kensington Road.

The victim told police he saw the suspect leave his neighbor’s driveway before parking in front of his vehicle and demanding at gunpoint that he exit the vehicle.

The carjacker took $76 from the victim and left in the man’s car, leaving a Pontiac Grand Prix behind, police said. Southington police later discovered the Pontiac had been stolen from New Britain.

Velez was arrested on Dec. 17, in the early morning hours, during a joint operation between state police and the FBI. He was wanted after federal officials said he was suspected of having committed over twenty armed robberies with firearms, numerous carjackings and several assaults across Connecticut spanning back to September.

Federal officials said Velez, when he was arrested in New Britain, struck two state police vehicles before trying to flee on foot. He was held on $2.5 million bond in federal custody.

Following the federal arrest, Southington police charged Velez in the carjacking in their town.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain, Southington Herald on Friday, 14 January 2022 14:09. Updated: Friday, 14 January 2022 14:11.