New Britain boys soccer learning through the growing pains

Published on Tuesday, 21 September 2021 20:59
Written by TYLER HETU

@TheTylerHetu

NEW BRITAIN - Going back to the drawing board will be the next step for New Britain boys soccer after a 6-2 loss to Windsor on Monday.

The loss came after a resounding 9-1 win over Hartford Public last week where the offense was working well in spacing the field and completing passes in the attacking third. On Monday the Golden Hurricanes struggled, running out of steam after the second half as the Warriors tacked on insurance early in the second half and continued to do so through the final 40 minutes.

Giovanny Peart scored in the first half on Monday, netting the equalizer at 1-1. The next goal came off the foot of Cam Naples, converting on a penalty kick, in the 74th minute to make the game 5-2. Windsor's Justin Dawkins scored a hat-trick in the win.

Trying to take the offensive scheme from last week into this week was unsuccessful with the starting 11 showing their frustration on the field. New Britain head coach Garth Lawrence said the opportunities were there, but Windsor closing the gaps quickly made it hard on the attackers.

"I think the plays happened too quickly and we didn't react where we were supposed to," said Lawrence.

The loss may humble New Britain a little bit, showing the team still has some work to do before it can expect a 9-1 final in their favor every night.

Like most young teams still reeling from a COVID-stained 2020, Lawrence said they're growing every game win or lose.

"I told them, every game is going to be a growing pain," said Lawrence. "Every game is one step up, so we're just trying to take one step up from this game and come back next game with a better attitude and hopefully get a win."

The youth and inexperienced so far have been buying into Lawrence's system. Only one sophomore was on the active roster Monday while the team included nine juniors and 12 seniors. Last fall the program finished 0-9-1, under a different head coach.

"They're a good bunch of kids, it's just a new team," said Lawrence. "So it's like a new atmosphere to some of the kids who have never played organized soccer. But, we have our work cut out for us this season and we will get better."

New Britain boys soccer will next take the field Monday, at home against Bloomfield, to close out a three-game homestand. Opening kick will come at 6 p.m.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Tuesday, 21 September 2021 20:59. Updated: Tuesday, 21 September 2021 21:01.