Fire damages Portuguese club in Newington

Published on Saturday, 23 December 2017 21:30
Written by Susan Corica

@coricabp

NEWINGTON - The Portuguese Club of Hartford was damaged by fire Saturday afternoon.

Members of the 90-year-old club, at 730 North Mountain Road, reportedly smelled smoke around 2 p.m.

WFSB-TV3 reported that the blaze started in the basement and spread to the attic, but everyone inside made it out uninjured.

Fire Chief Chris Schroeder said the club allows the fire department to use its facilities every year at no charge for the department’s annual awards banquet.

The club is advertising its annual New Year’s Eve party for Dec. 31, but the fire department is reportedly still assessing the fire damage and determining how it started.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Newington on Saturday, 23 December 2017 21:30. Updated: Saturday, 23 December 2017 21:32.