NEWINGTON â€“ Newington Volunteer Firefighters caught a fire pit that wasnâ€™t completely put out overnight Monday into Tuesday, preventing a potential big problem in what has been a dry summer thus far.
Firefighters said they responded to a fire alarm on Eddy Lane Monday evening and found that it had accidentally been activated. They reset the system and, during this call for service, smelled something burning in the area.
According to the fire department, firefighters found a fire pit on Berkshire Drive was smoldering. The small fire was extinguished by the homeowner, who was also advised of the open burn ordinance in town.
This comes as much of the state this summer has been warned about the elevated risks of forest fires. As of Tuesday, according to the stateâ€™s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, the risk for forest fires in Hartford County is â€śvery highâ€ť and â€śmoderate,â€ť depending on which part of the county. The only warning level that is worse than very high for forest fires is â€śextremeâ€ť â€“ which is currently the situation in Litchfield County.
Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or firstname.lastname@example.org.