Plea deal offered to Plainville man accused of using drugs with runaway teens

Published on Sunday, 8 April 2018 21:13
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

PLAINVILLE - A Bloomfield man accused of using drugs with two teens who ran away from a local group home is considering a plea deal.

Jose Cosme, 32, was granted one more continuance on Thursday, in Bristol Superior Court, to decide if he wants to plead guilty. Officials at a previous hearing said the offer would include a year in prison.

An attorney who has been assigned to look out for the victim’s best interests will get their input on the plea bargain.

Cosme, who is being held on $75,000 bond, faces charges of risk of injury to a minor and first-degree failure to appear. According to court papers, he was first arrested on the risk of injury charge last February. He was then arrested again in September after not showing up to a court hearing on June 8.

According to the arrest warrant, two girls, 16 and 14, ran away from a group home on Dec. 23, 2016. They were considered high-risk runaways because they had previously been victims of human trafficking, the document said.

The girls met Cosme in Hartford and went with him to a Bristol home, where the three allegedly took Molly - methylenedioxy-methamphetaminea (MDMA) - a psychoactive drug that alters one’s mood and perception.

According to the warrant, the 16-year-old girl at some point left Cosme, and the 14-year-old and was later found in Middletown on Dec. 30, 2016.

The 14-year-old girl allegedly remained with Cosme for nearly two weeks. During that time, police said, he ignored a phone call and voice mail from police after officers received information indicating he could be with the missing teen. 

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Plainville on Sunday, 8 April 2018 21:13. Updated: Sunday, 8 April 2018 21:15.