Man pleads not guilty in assault in Plainville

Published on Monday, 11 March 2019 20:41


PLAINVILLE - A Bristol man has pleaded not guilty to viciously beating a man at random in September.

Timothy Harrison, 22, of Lexington Street in Bristol, and Gabriel Rivera, 21, of Ruth Street in Bristol, allegedly punched the 40-year-old victim in the face numerous times and hit him with a stick several times sometime before 4:30 a.m. on Sept. 11, according to the police report.

Harrison appeared on Friday in Bristol Superior Court, where he pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, conspiracy to commit second-degree assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree breach of peace and conspiracy to commit second-degree breach of peace.

Harrison, who is free on $50,000 bond, is due back in court on April 18. However, court officials said Friday that he is expected to be charged in another, unrelated matter, which could happen before then.

According to police, the victim told officers he had been walking to a nearby bus stop when he heard a woman talking with someone on the second-floor porch of a home on Broad Street. He did not say anything and continued to walk, he said. He then suddenly noticed two men who had come out of the home start engaging him, asking him what he had in his bag.

The men, who were unprovoked, according to the complainant, then began pushing the victim and hitting him. According to the report, they punched him in the face a number of times. The 40-year-old tried to get away, but the assailants chased after him when he ran.

Once in the area of Peace Court and Broad Street, the men knocked the victim down to the ground and struck him with a stick numerous times. At this point, the victim began screaming for help.

Both men left the area on foot. Police responded shortly thereafter, when a number of 911 calls came in about the attack. Officers searched the area and later found two suspects in the home where the victim had originally heard a woman. The men were later identified as Rivera and Harrison, according to police.

According to court records, Rivera pleaded guilty in December to charges of third-degree assault and first-degree reckless endangerment. He was sentenced to three months in prison on each charge.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or .

Posted in New Britain Herald, Plainville on Monday, 11 March 2019 20:41. Updated: Monday, 11 March 2019 20:44.