Bristol man, charged in Southington burglary, pleads not guilty

Published on Wednesday, 3 May 2017 18:09
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

STAFF WRITER

SOUTHINGTON – A Bristol man already on probation for a burglary conviction has pleaded not guilty to yet another burglary charge.

During a hearing Wednesday in Bristol Superior Court, Carlos Rivera, 41, of 78 Collins Road, Bristol, entered not guilty pleas to charges of third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny.

According to court documents, Rivera is on probation after being convicted of third-degree burglary in January 2015. He has been charged with violating that probation.

According to the arrest warrant in the most recent burglary case, a homeowner on Red Oak Drive reported to police in November 2015 that his shed had been pried open. He said multiple tools, totaling a worth of about $350, were missing. The man told police he had just returned from a long vacation.

A witness told investigators he saw a suspicious vehicle in the area and a man walking around the home in the weeks his neighbor was on vacation. 

According to the warrant, the vehicle's license plate traced it back to Rivera's home. When officers spoke to him, Rivera initially denied burglarizing the shed. 

Police said the homeowner was an acquaintance of Rivera. Officers told Rivera the complainant would potentially drop the charges if he was paid restitution.

Rivera said he would think about giving a statement if he was given a guarantee that he would not be arrested. The investigating officer said he could not make that promise. 

According to the warrant, Rivera eventually admitted to burglarizing the shed, saying he did it while he was experiencing withdrawal symptoms and needed cash.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 at jmuszynski@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, General News, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 3 May 2017 18:09. Updated: Wednesday, 3 May 2017 18:12.