Police investigating inappropriate text messages at middle schools

Published on Wednesday, 17 May 2017 22:42
Written by BRIAN M. JOHNSON

STAFF WRITER

SOUTHINGTON - Southington police are investigating an incident Wednesday involving inappropriate text messages at Kennedy and DePaolo Middle Schools.

Sergeant Jeff Dobratz said that the incident was being widely discussed in town and on social media so the police department decided to send out a notice to the community.

“Based on recent postings, the Southington Police Department can confirm that there is an active investigation involving students at both middle schools sending inappropriate text messages via social media,” he said. “There is an active and ongoing investigation involving juveniles and there will be no further comment or information released at this time.”

On Southington Talks, a post questioning the incident had received 57 responses by approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Multiple posters made the claim that several students had been suspended from both schools.

When calls were made to the middle schools Wednesday, office staff stated that the principals and vice principals were in meetings all day.

Chris Palmieri, vice principal at DePaolo Middle School, later called back to state that he was not permitted to disclose any information regarding the incident.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 17 May 2017 22:42. Updated: Wednesday, 17 May 2017 22:44.