Southington police ID second suspect in connection with bank robbery, carjacking

Published on Monday, 19 June 2017 18:42


SOUTHINGTON - Police are asking for the public’s help finding the second suspect in connection with a bank robbery and carjacking incident involving two kids and a woman who were kidnapped.

Lamar McCarthy, 31, is wanted on a warrant charging him with second-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit second-degree robbery, second-degree larceny, robbery involving an occupied vehicle, engaging police in pursuit and three counts of first-degree kidnapping.

MacCarthy’s last known address is 9 Gorham Ave., Bloomfield. He is described as a black male, standing 5-foot-9 inches tall, weighing 165 pounds. Anyone with information on McCarthy’s whereabouts has been asked to call 911 or their local police department.

On Sunday, at about 1:15 p.m., Norman Renaldi, 44, of Meriden, entered the People’s Bank inside Stop & Shop, at 505 North Main St., and handed the teller a note, according to police. The note demanded money. Police said Renaldi had his hand in his pocket, which bank employees said implied that he had a gun.

Police said Renaldi made off with $12,669 - which has since been recovered - and got into a minivan being driven by McCarthy. The vehicle headed north on Route 10 and was spotted by an officer near Wal-Mart, 235 Main St. The officer tried to pull the vehicle over, but it instead made a U-turn and struck another vehicle, continuing south down Route 10.

The minivan then experienced a mechanical issue in the area of North Main Street and Curtiss Street. The vehicle continued driving until it got near the Shell Gas Station, at 212 Main St. There, the suspects fled the vehicle and McCarthy carjacked a Jeep Cherokee after a citizen had gotten gas, police said. The elderly man was pulled out of the vehicle.

Renaldi, police said, tried to get into the Cherokee, but was unable to. His accomplice left without him, with the vehicle owner’s wife and two grandchildren, ages 6 and 3, in the vehicle. The children and the woman were let out of the Jeep shortly thereafter, near a commuter lot off Exit 26 from I-84, near the Cheshire-Waterbury line. They were not injured.

Renaldi, meanwhile, ran from the gas station and was chased by police. At some point, he stopped and faced the officer in pursuit of him. The policeman drew his gun and told Renaldi to get on the ground, police said. He did not comply.

Renaldi, police said, then began reaching into his boot before making a motion that implied he had drawn a gun from behind his back. At this point, two other officers had shown up. Renaldi then ran at the officers, each of whom had their gun drawn, and tried to lunge at two policemen, police said.

Officers were then able to take Renaldi to the ground and arrest him. Police then found that he had a deep laceration on his left wrist. It is unclear when he sustained this injury. He was treated at the scene and did not need hospitalization.

Renaldi told police, according to the incident report, that he thought he had a knife in his boot. The blade was later found at the Shell gas station. No other weapons were found. Police also found Renaldi with 10 loose packages and a bundle of heroin, according to the report.

Police are still looking for McCarthy. He was last seen in the Jeep Cherokee, with a Connecticut license plate of AJ-13246.

Renaldi has been charged with first-degree robbery, second-degree larceny, attempted robbery involving an occupied motor vehicle, engaging police in pursuit, interfering with an officer, illegal possession of narcotics and three counts of attempted second-degree kidnapping. He was arraigned Monday in Bristol Superior Court.

During the hearing, court officials said Renaldi has a severe heroin addiction. Ronald Dearstyne, the prosecutor, said he is lucky he wasn’t shot when he lunged at officers.

“This is definitely a lengthy jail case,” the prosecutor said.

Renaldi’s criminal history is limited to an operating under suspension conviction in 2015. His attorney, Alfonzo Sirica, said he served in the military for 14 years - which included two tours of duty - before he was honorably discharged.

Renaldi is being held on $500,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court - where the case has been transferred - on July 5.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or at

Posted in New Britain Herald, General News, Southington Herald on Monday, 19 June 2017 18:42. Updated: Monday, 19 June 2017 18:44.