SOUTHINGTON - The case against a Waterbury man previously charged with sexual assault in Southington has been dropped.
Neftali Bultes, 41, appeared Tuesday in Bristol Superior Court, where a prosecutor said he decided not to pursue the charges. Bultes was arrested Aug. 26, 2016, on charges of first-degree sexual assault, third-degree assault and second-degree reckless endangerment.
Police said the arrest stemmed from a domestic violence incident earlier that month. Bultes also had another assault case pending in which the same woman was the complainant.
During his arraignment days after the sexual assault arrest, court officials said they had received a new statement from the complainant that contained “potentially exculpatory” information. On Tuesday, Paul Rotiroti, the prosecutor, said the woman initially told a story to police that appeared to be credible, before she ultimately admitted she had not been sexually assaulted by Bultes. Her credibility in the other matter was then also called into question, he said.
Additionally, Rotiroti said, prosecutors were able to listen to a recording in which the complainant could be heard threatening Bultes. Furthermore, she did not wish for either case to be prosecuted. Four cases against Bultes, including two for violation of probation charges, were dropped on Tuesday.
The arrest warrant in the sexual assault complaint was ordered sealed after Bultes arrest, so very few details were released about the case.
Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or firstname.lastname@example.org.