Southington police arrest another man connected to bank robbery, kidnapping

Published on Monday, 25 September 2017 17:49


SOUTHINGTON - Police have arrested a second man in connection with a bank robbery and kidnapping in June.

Lamar McCarthy, 35, of Hartford, was arrested Monday and charged with second-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit second-degree robbery, second-degree larceny, robbery involving an occupied vehicle, engaging police in pursuit, three counts of first-degree kidnapping and one count each of evading responsibility, unsafe passing, failure to drive right, failure to obey traffic controls, improper turns and engaging police in pursuit.

McCarthy is being held on $765,000 bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Bristol Superior Court.

According to police, on June 18, at about 1:15 p.m., Norman Renaldi, 44, of Meriden, who has also been charged, entered the People's Bank inside Stop & Shop, at 505 North Main St., and handed the teller a note. The note demanded money. Police said Renaldi had his hand in his pocket, which bank employees said implied that he had a gun. Police said Renaldi made off with $12,669 - which was later recovered - and got into a minivan being driven by McCarthy. The vehicle headed north on Route 10 and was spotted by an officer near Wal-Mart, at 235 Main St. The officer tried to pull the vehicle over, but it instead made a U-turn and struck another vehicle, continuing south down Route 10. The minivan then experienced a mechanical issue in the area of North Main and Curtiss streets. The vehicle continued driving until it got near the Shell Gas Station, at 212 Main St. There, the suspects fled the vehicle and McCarthy carjacked a Jeep Cherokee after a citizen had gotten gas, police said. The elderly man was pulled out of the vehicle. Renaldi, police said, tried to get into the Cherokee, but was unable to. McCarthy left without him, with the vehicle owner's wife and two grandchildren, ages 6 and 3, in the Jeep. The children and the woman were let out of the vehicle shortly thereafter, near a commuter lot off Exit 26 from I-84, near the Cheshire-Waterbury line. They were not injured. Renaldi, meanwhile, ran from the gas station and was eventually caught by police. His case is still pending in New Britain Superior Court.

After Renaldi’s arrest, police asked the public for help finding McCarthy. No further details about his apprehension were released Monday.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or at

Posted in New Britain Herald, General News, Southington Herald on Monday, 25 September 2017 17:49. Updated: Monday, 25 September 2017 17:51.