Prosecution unlikely in case involving sale of stolen car

Published on Friday, 15 December 2017 22:28
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

SOUTHINGTON - A Waterbury man accused of selling a vehicle that was reported stolen during a Southington burglary will likely not be prosecuted.

Michael Malak, 29, appeared Friday in Bristol Superior Court, where his attorney, Elisa Villa, said he is in a court-supervised program for another case being heard in Derby court. Villa said she anticipates the prosecutor will allow Malak’s Southington case to be “carried along” while he completes the program.

Provided he is successful in the program, Villa said, Malak’s larceny case will likely be dropped. He is facing one count of third-degree larceny.

According to the arrest warrant, a Waterbury resident called police in that city on June 7, 2016, after realizing he had bought a stolen vehicle. The man said his friend had stopped by his home earlier in the day, along with a man he did not know, who was later identified as Malak, the warrant said.

The man said Malak agreed to trade him a 2009 Honda Civic in exchange for his 1999 Honda Civic and $550. The man told police he repeatedly asked Malak if the vehicle was stolen, suspecting the deal was “too good to be true.” Malak insisted the car had not been stolen, and the man agreed to make the deal.

Shortly after making the deal, the man found out through a neighbor that the car had been reported stolen out of Southington. According to the warrant, he called Waterbury police and explained what had happened.

The warrant said the Civic was reported stolen on May 25, 2016, from a Southington home.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Friday, 15 December 2017 22:28. Updated: Friday, 15 December 2017 22:31.