Man gets plea deal after admitting to 10 robberies, one in Southington

Published on Monday, 30 April 2018 21:14
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

BRIDGEPORT - A Waterbury man has waived his right to be indicted and admitted he robbed 10 banks and convenience stores in three states, including a bank in Southington.

Zachary Provost, 33, is exposed to as many as 25 years behind bars after accepting a deal in which he pleaded guilty Thursday, in federal court, to one count of armed robbery. He is scheduled to be sentenced on July 19. According to officials from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, he admitted to committing numerous robberies in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire at the end of last year.

Many of the robberies involved the suspect either implying that he had a knife or a gun or showing the weapon during the hold-up.

In total, Provost stole about $9,068 between Nov. 29 and Dec. 8, officials said.

On Dec. 1, Provost entered the TD Bank, located at 121 Main St. in Southington, and handed the teller a note, according to officials. The note said he had a knife and demanded that the teller give him money. The teller handed over $350.

In the two days before the Southington robbery, Provost robbed two convenience stores in Waterbury, officials said. Following the Southington incident, he hit seven more banks and convenience stores in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire.

Waterbury police arrested Provost on Dec. 9, when they responded to a motel in their city on the report of a woman experiencing a drug overdose. At the scene, officers found a BB gun, two ski masks, $542 and a red SUV that was used in the robberies.

The overdose victim, who was staying in the same room as Provost, was able to be revived. Provost has been detained since his arrest.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Monday, 30 April 2018 21:14. Updated: Monday, 30 April 2018 21:16.