Southington man extradited from Rhode Island for fifth protective order violation

Published on Wednesday, 8 August 2018 14:26
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@muszynskiBP

SOUTHINGTON - A local man has been arrested and accused of violating a protective order - issued to protect a woman he had been stalking - for the fifth time since January.

David Forgione, 59, of 676 Mulberry St., was extradited from Rhode Island - where he was most recently arrested - and arraigned Wednesday, in Bristol Superior Court, on one count of failure to appear and breach of peace and two counts of violation of a protective order.

Forgione was ordered to be rearrested after not showing up to court on Monday to answer to the most recent protective order violations, which involved allegations of text messaging the victim and driving by her home, according to Alfonzo Sirica, a public defender who represented Forgione for his arraignment.

During the hearing, Ronald Dearstyne, state prosecutor, said police have expressed serious safety concerns about the victim. In all his years working as a prosecutor, he said, there have only been a “handful of times” that police officers have approached him to express a concern like this.

“The question is,” Dearstyne said, “if he’s out, when is he going to hurt this victim.”

Forgione’s bail on Wednesday was set at $400,000 bond, which can only be posted at the courthouse, as prosecutors intend to ask that he be fitted with a GPS monitoring device if he bonds out. His cases were continued to Sept. 5.

Last month, before his most recent arrests, Forgione agreed to a plea bargain that would have spared him prison time. He pleaded guilty to one count each of second-degree threatening, third-degree assault and violation of a protective order.

The agreement called for Forgione to be sentenced to seven years in prison, suspended, and three years of probation. His probation would include drug testing, as court officials allege he has a cocaine problem. Dearstyne on Monday did not say whether Forgione’s most recent arrests would affect the plea bargain he had agreed to.

According to police, on Jan. 2, Forgione went to his wife’s home after he was arrested the day before for allegedly slapping and threatening to kill her. After that arrest, he was told by police not to contact her, but he had not yet been issued a protective order, so he was charged with a violation of his conditions of release.

After being issued an order by a judge that barred any contact between the two, police said, Forgione sent his wife a text message on Jan. 8 and was arrested again.

According to police, Forgione was also arrested on Jan. 10 after going to his wife’s home and blocking the driveway, preventing her from leaving. Police said this was also a violation of the protective order between the two.

Forgione was arrested again on Jan. 13 after his wife called police that day and said he had been following her in a vehicle in the area of Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike. At the time, the two were in the process of divorcing. The woman said Forgione followed her for about three and a half miles while she essentially drove in a circle. He was arrested later that day.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 8 August 2018 14:26. Updated: Wednesday, 8 August 2018 14:29.