Replacement 30th House District candidate can receive campaign financing

Published on Sunday, 21 October 2018 20:26
Written by Charles Paullin

@CPaullinNBH

BERLIN - The new Republican candidate for the 30th House District seat will receive state campaign financing, according to the State Election Enforcement Commission.

An advisory opinion by the SEEC Friday afternoon ruled that Mike Gagliardi can receive up to 40 percent of the Citizens Election Program grant as a replacement candidate. The grant is about $28,000, so the 47-year-old Berlin resident will receive about $11,200.

The SEEC met Friday because a replacement candidate had never requested funds this close to an election before and new law on campaign financing exists, SEEC spokesman Joshua Foley said last week.

“We are happy that the campaign received the funds,” said Anne Reilly, the Berlin Republican Town Committee chairwoman. “It made sense to give Mike the funds to support his campaign and level the playing field with his opponent.”

Gagliardi became the GOP’s candidate after 22-year-old Steven Baleshiski of Southington withdrew after criticism over negative Facebook posts.

House Speaker Joe Aresimowicz, the Democratic incumbent for the district covering parts of Berlin and Southington, said he could’ve objected to the fund allocation.

“Hopefully he uses the money to get out a message of what his vision is for the state,” he said.

Aresimowicz had about $28,000 as of his Oct. 10 filing with the SEEC.

Aresimowicz had about $28,000, as of his Oct. 10 filing with the SEEC.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Berlin, Southington Herald on Sunday, 21 October 2018 20:26. Updated: Sunday, 21 October 2018 20:28.