New Britain man charged in Southington burglary spree could be heading to trial

Published on Friday, 3 May 2019 19:18
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON - A New Britain man accused of committing a burglary spree in Southington last year has thus far been unable to reach a plea agreement with prosecutors and could be headed to trial.

Angel Mercado, 36, was granted one final continuance on Thursday, in Bristol Superior Court, for his attorney to discuss the plea bargain that is on the table.

Mercado’s attorney, Peter Matthews, said his client was hopeful state prosecutors would come off a second-degree burglary charge and allow him to plead guilty to third-degree burglary. Elizabeth Moseley, state prosecutor, said during the hearing she is not willing to do that. The plea deal on the table would send Mercado to prison for four years.

During the hearing, Moseley said the cases against Mercado are strong.

“These were residential burglaries, your honor,” Moseley told a judge.

Matthews said he will discuss the plea deal with his client once more before he decides if he wants to formally turn it down and head down the trial path. Mercado, who is being held on $250,000 bond, is due back in court on June 6.

Mercado allegedly burglarized five Southington homes at the end of January 2018, according to the arrest warrants in the cases. Police allege he stole about $7,000 worth of goods and used a number of credit cards that were stolen, the warrants continued.

Mercado faces two counts of second-degree burglary and illegal use of a credit card, three counts each of third-degree burglary and fourth-degree larceny, one count each of third- and fifth-degree larceny and a number of other charges related to the thefts.

According to the warrants, all five burglaries occurred at homes in the area of West Street, Juniper Road and Ridgewood Road. Some of them happened while the residents were inside their home.

About $7,000 worth of property was reported stolen during the break-ins, including electronics, ammunition, an air pistol and tools. Additionally, multiple victims said their credit or debit cards were taken.

According to the warrant, Mercado was seen on video surveillance at an area merchant using some of the credit cards stolen during the burglaries.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Friday, 3 May 2019 19:18. Updated: Friday, 3 May 2019 19:20.