Report of Southington house fire turns out to be mistake

Published on Wednesday, 15 May 2019 21:30
Written by Charles Paullin


SOUTHINGTON - Firefighters responded to a report of a house fire at 270 Copper Ridge Wednesday afternoon, but they instead found a resident burning brush in his backyard.

The department received the call at 2:49 p.m., Battalion Chief Glenn Dube said. From across the street, the flames from the trash fire appeared to be coming from the house, Dube said.

Mutual aid was called from Plainville and Cheshire to cover the town, as the Fire Department had also been called to a serious motor-vehicle accident on Interstate 84 a few minutes before the fire report.

Tanker engines were also called in from Berlin and Wolcott since the area lacks hydrants, Dube said.

The fire caused no property damage and no injuries were reported.

Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Wednesday, 15 May 2019 21:30. Updated: Wednesday, 15 May 2019 21:32.