Two Hartford men charged in Southington theft initially thought to be robbery

Published on Tuesday, 14 June 2022 11:57
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON – Two Hartford men face charges in connection with an incident last week that was initially thought to be a robbery. 

Police on Tuesday identified the suspects as Dennis Pipkin, 54, and Kevin Marshall, 56, who each face charges of third-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny and second-degree criminal mischief.

The incident was reported Friday, around 10:42 a.m., at the Cumberland Farms at 909 Queen St. The call initially came in as a robbery before police later determined it was a theft without any force or threat. 

Police said the suspects entered the store wearing masks before stealing two cash registers and 11 cartons of cigarettes. The registers, valued at $500 each, contained about $866 in cash. The cigarette cartons were worth about $100 each, police said.

The suspects fled in a white Nissan Quest and were last seen heading east on Interstate 84. Officers and detectives responded to the Cumberland Farms and did not immediately locate the suspects.

Two Southington officers who are part of the Greater Hartford Regional Auto Theft Task Force (GHRATTF) were in Hartford at the time, in the midst of a weekly auto theft operation when they were made aware of the incident. About an hour after the theft, members of the GHRATTF spotted the suspects on Waverly Street in Hartford. They were later arrested on Vine Street in the same city. 

Police said they were able to use surveillance footage from inside Cumberland Farms to confirm the identity of the suspects. Inside the suspect vehicle, police reported finding numerous cartons of cigarettes, plastic money clips from cash registers and cash scattered throughout the cabin. 

Pipkin and Marshall were held on $25,000 bond over the weekend and arraigned Monday in New Britain Superior Court. 

During the hearings, Pipkin’s bond was maintained. He is still being held in custody with another pending court date of Aug. 1. 

Marshall’s bond was lowered to $5,000, though he remains in custody as well. He is due back in court on July 21. 

Neither suspect entered pleas during their arraignment.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Tuesday, 14 June 2022 11:57. Updated: Tuesday, 14 June 2022 11:59.