Two New Britain residents charged in robbery spree through multiple towns, including Southington

Published on Thursday, 16 June 2022 14:03
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

Two New Britain residents are among three people charged in a robbery spree earlier this year.

Authorities from the U.S. Attorney’s Office said the robberies took place in various towns throughout the state between late February and March. The trio charged this week includes New Britain residents Efrain Deleon, 58, and Gilberto Deleon, 56, as well as Seymour resident Steven Galarza. 

Federal officials said the three went on a robbery spree of convenience stores and smoke shops, which included one location in Southington.

Between Feb. 27 and March 22, federal officials allege, Efrain Deleon, Gilberto Deleon and Galarza, used facsimile firearms – which are designed to appear similar to real guns – to rob cash, cigarettes and other items. One of the robberies was reported on March 3 at the Food Bag in Southington, located at 960 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike. 

The other stores the trio allegedly robbed were in towns of Farmington, Mystic, East Windsor, Ellington, Windsor, Wethersfield and Stamford.

The three suspects each face one count of conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act Robbery and eight counts of Hobbs Act Robbery.  Each charge carries with it a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Efrain and Gilberto Deleon are being detained, while Galarza is free on $50,000 bond.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain, Southington Herald on Thursday, 16 June 2022 14:03. Updated: Thursday, 16 June 2022 14:06.