Windsor man pleads no contest to charges tied to fatal crash in Southington

Published on Monday, 27 June 2022 13:39
Written by JUSTIN MUSZYNSKI

@MUSZYNSKIBP

SOUTHINGTON -- A Windsor man has pleaded no contest to charges connected to a fatal crash in February 2021.

Robert Perkins, 27, accepted a plea bargain last week in New Britain Superior Court in which he has not been required to plead guilty to any charges. 

Instead, the 27-year-old has pleaded no contest to charges of second-degree manslaughter and reckless driving. A no contest plea means Perkins has opted not to fight these charges, though it is not an admission of guilt. 

Under the terms of the plea bargain, prosecutors will not pursue charges of operating under the influence and first-degree reckless endangerment.

Perkins is free on $150,000 bond while he awaits sentencing. He is due back in court on Sept. 22. 

 According to police, Perkins was driving during a car accident in Southington on Feb. 25, 2021. Following the crash, the sole passenger in the vehicle, who has been identified as Trevon Quinitchett of East Hartford, died. He was 26 years old.

Both Perkins and Quinitchett were ejected from the vehicle following the crash, which was reported just before midnight, at the intersection of Queen and West Queen streets, police said. Neither of them were wearing seatbelts, according to police.

Police accused Perkins of driving more than 100 miles per hour in a 40 mph zone when, as he headed south on Queen Street, he approached another vehicle and swerved off the side of the road. He struck a utility pole, a mailbox and then grazed a traffic lane marker sign before striking another utility pole, according to police.

Perkins and Quinitchett were taken to St. Francis Hospital, in Hartford, where Quinitchett was treated in the Intensive Care Unit and listed in critical condition before he succumbed to his injuries. Perkins was treated for injuries that were not considered life-threatening, police said.

Justin Muszynski can be reached at 860-973-1809 or jmuszynski@bristolpress.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Southington Herald on Monday, 27 June 2022 13:39. Updated: Monday, 27 June 2022 13:42.