Puerto Rico to sue federal board over budget differences

Published on Thursday, 5 July 2018 20:29
Written by The Associated Press

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - Puerto Rico’s governor announced Thursday that his administration will sue a federal control board to resolve a disagreement over two competing budgets that aim to pull the U.S. territory out of an 11-year recession.

Gov. Ricardo Rossello said he is seeking an injunction to stop the board from imposing an $8.76 billion budget that contains various austerity measures, and he accused it of trying to dictate the island’s public policy.

“Our north will always be to defend the most vulnerable in all forums,” he said in a statement.

The forthcoming lawsuit is a result of budget wrangling in Puerto Rico: One budget was approved by the board and another was approved by legislators and signed by Rossello earlier this week.



Posted in New Britain Herald, Nation-World on Thursday, 5 July 2018 20:29. Updated: Thursday, 5 July 2018 20:31.